After almost a decade of successful appellate work in the State of Texas and numerous Circuit Courts, Susan Clouthier co-founded Clouthier Cooperstein PLLC to bring her compassion and strong appellate advocacy to help the people of Mississippi. Susan has received numerous accolades from peers and clients alike. She developed a strong reputation for honesty, integrity, dedication, creativity, and having a profound knowledge of appellate litigation.
During Susan’s career, she has obtained notable victories for her clients, often in extremely difficult cases. Among other achievements, Susan has successfully:
- Vacated a restitution order of over a half million dollars on appeal at the Fifth Circuit, even though her client signed an unconditional appeal waiver
- Obtained an acquittal for her client on five separate counts based on insufficient evidence
- Prevailed in obtaining habeas relief in several cases, vacating convictions, even resulting in immediate discharge from imprisonment
- Overturning a dismissal of a civil section 1983 lawsuit in the Fifth Circuit seeking damages against multiple officers
Throughout her career, Susan has handled just about every type of appellate case, including interlocutory matters, original proceedings in the civil and criminal context, criminal appeals, post-conviction proceedings, civil appeals in many different practice areas, bankruptcy appeals, and family law appeals. Susan also practices in both State and Federal courts, and she devotes significant time staying up to date on developments in the law as it relates to appellate work. She is admitted to practice in the State of Mississippi, the federal district courts in Mississippi, the Fifth Circuit, and the United States Supreme Court, among others.
Susan is passionate about helping her clients achieve justice through the appellate process. She has overcome substantial challenges in her life, and she can therefore relate and empathize with her clients and their struggles in a meaningful way. This gives Susan an upper hand in fighting for justice, as she treats each case and client as if it were her own personal fight.
In her free time, Susan enjoys spending time with her two teenage daughters and her husband. She has also completed five Ironman triathlons and enjoys music, art, and decorating.
- University of Houston Law Center - J.D. - 2007
- Baylor University - Bachelors of Music Performance - 2000
Professional and Bar Associations
- United States Supreme Court Bar
- Bar Association for the Federal Fifth Circuit
- Mississippi Bar Appellate
- Texas Women Lawyers
- Christian Legal Society
- Texas Bar College